June 2022, Volume 1, Issue 18
From the Marketing and Communications Team and Editor – Welcome to the June Issue of our Chapter’s newsletter, PMI-DVC Connect!
In this issue, we provide information about our mentoring program and share an update from the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Team. As per usual, we’ll share details about upcoming events, member benefits, educational resources like certification exam prep dates, and celebrate Chapter members who achieved important milestones.
Newsletter Editorial Team: Rich Lobron, Amber Hill, Kelly Stoner, and Kaitlyn Luboff.
Support the PMI-DVC by following us on social media and engaging with the posts.
Upcoming Chapter Events
You can always find a listing of upcoming chapter events on our website homepage. Here are a few happening soon!
- Agile Open House, Thursday, June 23, 2022: “Communication Channels in Agile Frameworks”
- Learn more here
- Join Leigh Ann Gunther, Ryan McGonigle, and Tom Welsh on Thursday, June 23, 2022, 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM, as they explore methods for communicating within the team and communicating upwards to leadership. Join in the conversation as they share experiences that have helped build thriving Agile Teams.
- Register now
New to project management and seeking a certification that demonstrates your knowledge of Project Management practices? If so, we have a course for you and registration is now open for the PMI-DVC Summer courses.
3-Saturdays (July 9, 16, 23)
for PMI-DVC Members = $750
5-Saturdays (Jul 9, 16, 23, 30, Aug 6)
for PMI-DVC Members = $1,086
For more information on all of the Chapter course offerings on CAPM, Foundations, and PMP and to register (once registration is open) go to:https://pmi-dvc.org/education/courses
- The new CAPM exam will better support project professionals in their career journeys by testing the skills entry and associate-level professionals need to understand project management fundamentals, as well as predictive, adaptive, and business analysis principles. The new exam is expected to be available early next year.
ProjectBites LIVE! (Virtual)
FREE TO ALL PROJECTBITES MEMBERS
2 speakers – 20 minutes each
Tuesday, June 28, 2022
Business Agility - A Delivery Outcome
The Impact of DevOps on Project Managers
Sponsored by PMI Newfoundland and Labrador
Starting in Mid-2021, the PMI-DVC chapter has commenced a Member Mentoring Program.
The mission of the PMIDVC Mentorship Program is to leverage the collective expertise of fellow professionals to help our members succeed in their career through advice and guidance offered through mentorship. Our goal is to provide a resource for members to learn from the experiences and expertise of other members in the performance of project management functions. We want to provide tools to assist members in achieving PMI credentials, employing PMI skills in the workplace and demonstrating their interest in building the craft through intercommunication with others.
The purpose of the Mentoring Program is to give chapter members in good standing the opportunity to act as advisors to less experienced members. The program will also provide a service to members who wish to benefit from the knowledge of more experienced project managers. This is accomplished through recruiting and onboarding participants, pairing them according to industry and/or areas of expertise and tracking their progress in the program.
We invite any interested parties – mentors or mentees – to complete the VRMS applications that are available to all members. We are seeking PMI-DVC members with over five years of Project Management experience, who have attempted to gain PMI certifications as PMP or other certificates to serve as Mentors. The VRMS ID for Mentors is # 30900.
Any PMI-DVC members that feel that gaining advice on project management functions within their industries, as well as obtaining assistance or “tips” on gaining a PMP would be helpful to their careers, should consider becoming Mentees in the program. We will try to pair applicants by the particular industry or project management area that each mentee is seeking assistance in, as well as geographic area where possible. Mentors will be assigned based on their respective expertise. The VRMS ID for Mentee’s is #30901.
We expect participants to plan to spend at least two hours each month in the mentoring process. It is expected that the pairs will meet at least once per month for two hours. The assigned Mentee will be required to complete a form when each meeting is completed. The completed form will be sent to the Director of Mentoring.
While we will commence the program, by providing participants an initial virtual connection via Zoom, to allow the program to begin under current circumstances, as time continues, it is hoped that the mentor / mentee pairs will choose to begin person-to-person sessions. Mentors and mentees that have enjoyed the program over recent weeks have found the sessions to be mutually beneficial and quite helpful. We look forward to additional members joining the program and reaping the benefits thereof.
The program intends to offer a path to gain advice and guidance from persons who have gained some wisdom in the arena of Project Management and the PMI certification protocols through their own career paths.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Team Update
On May 28, Priya Rajagopalan, the Chapter DEI Director and Marie Hegarty, VP, Membership & Volunteers participated in a call with PMI members from Toronto, Ottawa, Turkey, the UK, and a few states in our country. Priya and Marie represent the Chapter in the PMI DEI Collaborative which meets almost monthly. PMI Turkey and PMI UK have been collaborating with other European Chapters and with PMI Pakistan and PMI Finland. Since Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is experienced differently in different countries and cultures individual Chapters may have unique goals and programs to meet their needs.
At the May 2022 PMI LIM (Leadership Institute Meeting), PMI identified three Strategic Objectives: Broaden Our Reach; Extend Our Impact; and Build Lasting Relationships. The PMI DEI Collaborative is embracing these objectives.
The Chapters share a common vision of eliminating injustices and inequalities, in their varied manifestations, strengthening intersectional movements, and advancing the human rights of all people. The Chapters are creating a space to exchange ideas, engage in thoughtful conversations, educate each other, and work together to build inclusive, diverse Chapters and welcome everyone’s talents. Engaging with other PMI Chapters around the world offers the opportunity to have “Global Goals with Local Leaders.” Each individual can, to some degree, change her or his world for the better.
Each month, we recognize members who have reached important milestones. Congratulations to each of you, and “Welcome” to those of you who are new.
New Members – Welcome to the 49 New Members who joined the Chapter in May, 2022! Matthew Aaron, Sapreen Abbass, Victor Abram, Alex Alfrey, Christopher Antczak, Kara Austin, James Baliko, Nancy Berger, Monish Bhan, Robb Blake, Ruth Caisse, Kurt Carter, Erin Church, Andrew Dankel, Ted Davis, Roderick Davis Perry, Ryan Doud, Hala Easmael, Olga Fazlyeva, Dax Frakes, Joseph Gibbs, Owen Hayes, Steven Howell, Jacquelyn Hupe, Justin Kaluza, Alex Keegan, Louise Kibler, Sarah Leng, Jocelyn Lockard, Lynsey Madison, Stephanie McWhite, Timothy Minor II, Jeffrey Montani, William Montgomery, Colleen Mullen, Matthew Muller, Caraline Murphy, Brian Murray, Yasheaka Oakley, Mark Pescatrice, Amy Peters, Alexander Reichart-Anderson, LTanya Reyes, Augustine Sartie, James Saylor, Kristofer Spahr, Abdul Salam Tarawalie, John Tevis, and Spenser Williams.
…to our newest Certificate holders who achieved certifications in May, 2022:
- Congratulations to our newest Certificate holders who achieved certifications in May, 2022:
- CAPM – Erica Engstenberg
- DASM – Colleen Martin
- PMI-ACP – Adrian Mendoza
- PMP – James Baliko, Daniel Cain, Thais Greca, Nicole Hale, Jeffrey Hanifin, William Montgomery, Frank Recknagel Jr., Stefanie Reid, and Heather Roberts.
- 15-year anniversaries - Congratulations to our Certificate holders celebrating 15 years of certification in May, 2022:
- PMP – Sharon Bussey, Ryan Cauthorn, Robert Martin, Laura Puzo, Raymond Veenema, and Denise Ziegler
- 10-year anniversaries - Congratulations to our Certificate holders celebrating 10 years of certification in May, 2022:
- PMI-ACP – Anthony Piazza
- PMP – John Ahlfeld, Ganesh Bhat, Marc Portner, Lon Sullivan, Florian Teme, Iliya Yordanov, and Thomas York
- 5-year anniversaries - Congratulations to our Certificate holders celebrating 5 years of certification in May, 2022:
- PMI-ACP – Hubert Asior, Preston Edward Piantino , and Kurt Seidel.
- PMP – William Casswell, Mary Chambers, Kendra Gudgeon, Trudy Hammond, Philip Howard, Kimberly-Anne Mattia, Paul Mellon, Erik Nelson, Rich Rinaldi, Keith Shaffer, AJ Thackrah, and Nissy Thambi.
Special Thanks to our Sponsors and Educational Partners
*2022 Annual Plan Goals*
- Grow Membership
- Proactive Outreach to members, academic, volunteer, community, and industry associations to build lasting relationships and engagement.
- Advancing the Project Management Profession through a range of professional development, training, and educational opportunities. Recognize achievements!
- Give back to our community.
Support the PMI-DVC by following us on social media and engaging with the posts.